Greek Island Holidays – Find the cheapest holidays departing from Ireland at Holidayguru.ie
Looking for cheap holidays to the Greek islands? Who wouldn’t want to enjoy this idyllic paradise during their holidays? If you’ve been searching for cheap offers, you’ve come to the right place. Here at Holidayguru, I want to show you all the best options for travelling to the Greek islands from Ireland.
Here you will find offers to the most popular islands of Greece such as Crete, Corfu, Zakynthos and Santorini, to name but a few. Still not decided which one to visit? Let me tell you a little more about each of them and you yourselves decide the jewel of your trip.
The best Greek Islands to visit
The Greek Islands are a destination that suits all tastes. Depending on the island you choose between a more tranquil or more lively holiday, or between dream beaches and incredible cultural heritage. Here I tell you a little more about which Greek Islands to visit during your holidays and the highlights of each of them.
- Santorini. One of the most famous Greek islands is Santorini. Surely you have already seen it more than once on the cover of a magazine! Despite the tourism, Santorini is still a tranquil paradise where you can enjoy the beach, beautiful sunsets, charming whitewashed villages and archaeological sites. You will find more information and advice about Santorini here.
Crete. The largest island in Greece, it is the ideal destination for the undecided because here you will find a bit of everything: quiet areas, party areas, dream beaches, typical Greek villages and delicious cuisine.
- Rhodes. This beautiful Greek island is close to the coast of Turkey. If you are passionate about history and culture as well as a bit of sunbathing, this is your island! You can stroll through the historic centre of Rhodes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, discover ancient temples and mosques, and enjoy the most crystal-clear waters.
- Mykonos. If you’re looking for a combination of sun, beach and areas where you can enjoy the festive summer atmosphere, Mykonos is your island! This island in the Cyclades archipelago is known for its summer festivals. It also stands out for its old mills, beaches, archaeological sites and sunsets.
- Corfu. Located in the Ionian Sea, also known as the Emerald Island – why is that, you ask? I’m sure its turquoise waters and lush vegetation will give you the answer. Being another of the largest islands, Corfu offers a mix of everything depending on the area where you stay.
- Naxos. Are you looking for the pure tranquility of the Greek Islands? This is your paradise! Naxos is a true haven of peace – it’s not so overcrowded, so you can enjoy beautiful beaches as well as the historical heritage of its temples all at your own pace.
- Zakynthos (Zante). Surely you have already seen its most famous beach, the Navagio Beach (Shipwreck) which houses an old abandoned boat. In addition to hosting this idyllic beach, Zakynthos is a natural paradise that combines green vegetation, large cliffs and beaches. Plus there are some great party hotspots in areas such as Zakynthos town, Kalamaki, Argassi and Tsilivi.
How to get around the Greek Islands
One of the options that many travellers consider is to go island hopping around the Greek Islands. However a bit of advice – if you plan to travel to Corfu, Rhodes or Crete, my advice is to dedicate your holidays to exploring these islands separately as they are big enough not to get bored and there’s plenty to see and do here. If you are thinking of doing a bit of Greek island hopping, the most common option is to do the Cyclades islands which include Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos and Delos.
How do you get around the Greek Islands? There are several options for ferries departing from Athens to Mykonos, as well as flight options. The ferry journey from Santorini to Athens can take up to 8 hours so it is best to take flights. Between Mykonos to other Greek islands such as Naxos, Paros or Santorini, there are several ferries that you can catch at a good price or you can always check the price of flights between islands.
Flights to the Greek Islands
Flights to the Greek Islands are generally more expensive than flights to Athens or Thessaloniki. Athens is much closer to the Greek Islands, so it will be easier for you to get to the Greek Islands from there either by ferry or plane. However, flights to Thessaloniki are often very well priced, as are flights between Thessaloniki to Mykonos, Rhodes or Santorini, so it may be a good option to find a cheaper round trip.
In any case, in this section of Holidayguru I will always keep you informed of the best offers of flights to the Greek Islands. You can also consult the dates that interest you most using my Flight Finder tool.