Syttende Mai in Oslo
Celebrate Norway's National Day in Oslo with 4 Nights in Central Hotel & Flights
Hotel Smarthotel Oslo
Departure airport Dublin
meals No Catering
Hip hip hurra! Every year in May Norwegians take to the streets to celebrate their national day in style! Traditional dress, lots of parades and more flags than you can shake a stick at – it’s easily one of the most colourful celebrations ever! And I thought I’d do things a little differently today and give you the chance to celebrate the 17th of May, or Syttende Mai in Oslo too! :)
Syttende Mai in Oslo
This deal is currently going on Expedia which gives you two nights right in the heart of Oslo at the great Smarthotel Oslo. You’re in the perfect location for the 17th May celebrations with the Royal Palace and Karl Johans Gate just a short walk away.
There’s no military parades here – Norway’s national day is all about celebrating children! All of the local schools and nurseries get to take part in the parades and the King and Queen wave at them all as they walk on past. It’s such a lovely thing to see! Plus all the Norwegians will be decked out in their traditional dress (bunad). They take it very seriously – every region in Norway has its own design, so you can tell exactly where someone comes from.
As well as children’s parades there’s also marching bands and rus, high school students that are just about to graduate. They all have bright red trousers on so they’re hard to miss. Do things the proper Norwegian way – the locals like to have a cheeky glass of champagne with breakfast and tuck into traditional hot dogs and ice cream as the party goes on outside!
We have might have Paddy’s Day, but the 17th of May really is super fun too – just go for it!
- Syttende Mai in Oslo: Celebrate Norway’s National Day in Oslo with 4 Nights in Central Hotel & Flights only €281
- Travel period: 16/05/2017 – 20/05/2017
- Length of stay: 4 nights
- Airport of departure: Dublin
- Destination: Oslo Gardermoen
- Airline: Norwegian
- Hotel: Smarthotel Oslo
- Rating: 79/100 on Trivago
- Location: Central (close to the Royal Palace & Karl Johans Gate where the parades pass by!)
- Board basis: Self-catered
- Airport transfer: Check transport options here
- Lonely Planet Travel Guide: Get one here
- Travel Insurance: Get it here
- Price: only €281 per person based on two adults sharing