Once at the heart of the eastern bloc, Sofia nowadays has a vibrant arts scene and the city is becoming increasingly popular with backpackers and travelers who are attracted to the cold-war architecture, the incredible mix of culture and nightlife and the shockingly cheap prices compared to the West. Read on to find out more!
Sensational Sofia Solo Trip
I’m a big fan of Sofia, it’s a lovely little city that mixes the minimalism of cold war architecture with a modern counter-culture twist. You can throw in some ancient Orthodox cathedrals and mosques for good measure that are just lovely to see. I really enjoyed the Museum of Socialist Art for its harrowing showcase of how the communist rule was for people. There are so many restaurants and cafes that offer incredibly cheap prices. I was paying the equivalent of 5€ for a full meal with a drink and it was all delicious. I’d really recommend Shopska salad, famous for resembling the Bulgarian flag, or the local take on Goulash was both delicious.
If you are lucky enough to experience snow, then you have to get a bus out to Vitosha mountain just 10km away. You can go skiing down these slopes!
Click the links below to book your trip and have a lovely stay!
- Sensational Sofia Solo Trip: 4nt in your own city center flat with flights from Dublin only €119
- Provider: Airbnb & my Flight Finder tool
- Travel period: 20/11/2018 – 24/11/2018
- Length of stay: 3 nights
- Departure airport: Dublin
- Destination airport: Sofia
- Airline: Ryanair
- Hotel: Central, Bright and Cosy Suite.
- Score: 5/5 out of 24 reviews + SuperHost status
- Location: city centre
- Meals: Not included
- Airport transfer: Host may pick you up at extra charge
- Travel insurance: Get it here
- Lonely Planet travel guide: Get one here
- Rental car: Compare prices here
- Price only €119 per person based on two adults sharing