My favourite place in LA is definitely Hermosa Beach! Set south of Venice it has a great chilled out, easy going atmosphere and is located right at the beach and the long pier. You can easily rent a bike and drive up to Venice Beach or Santa Monica. Or rent surf gear and improve your skills on the waves of the Pacific Ocean. If you rent a car, which I would recommend (Hertz), or go by public transport, you can drive up the Pacific Coast Highway, or around the hills of Hollywood and visit the Hollywood Sign itself. Then stroll along Sunset and Hollywood Boulevard and have a snack at PINK’s, the famous retro hot dog and burger place! It’s cheap, has huge portions and their chilli dogs are amazing! If you’re lucky you might even see Jay Leno having his lunch :) Universal Studios are also always an option…
As for the deal: I found a real cheap flight on lastminute.ie going from Dublin via Dulles to LA for only €484, so if you don’t like the accommodation then book only the flight and look for another hotel. From hostelbookers.com I chose Surf City Hostel (66% on Tripadvisor) right at the beach in Hermosa, a fantastic place to meet people from all over the world. The friendly French landlady has a chilled out way of keeping the hostel and you can really make yourself a home. Take the laid-back atmosphere from the hostel to the beach that is just a step away and relax in the sun, or go surfing. November is ideal for that, still very warm! Right at the hostel there is a great place to have food, Dragons, cheap meals but beware of the drink prices… Again the hostel is basic but it’s so welcoming that you will love your stay. But if hostels aren’t attracting you then definitely check out other places and stick to the flight. Whatever you do, LA will never disappoint you.
FYI: As always, hurry with your decisions, as prices of flights increase quickly!
- Los Angeles: 15 Days incl. Hotel, Breakfast and Flights €758
- Travel period: 15/11/2014 – 29/11/2014
- Travel duration: 15 days
- Air temperature during stay: 23ºC
- Water temperature during stay: 17ºC
- Airport of departure: Dublin
- Destination: Los Angeles LAX
- Airline:United/Air Canada
- Hotel: Surf City Hostel
- Rating: 65% on TripAdvisor out of 47 reviews
- Location: Hermosa Beach
- Board basis: Breakfast
- Airport transfer: bus from Sepulveda/Century to Pacific Coast Highway/9th; costs €1, takes 40 mins
- Rental car: €14 per person per day with hertz (type in the dates), parking is a bit tricky at the hostel though. Make sure you get instructions from the landlady first
- Price: only €758 per person based on two adults sharing
Type in the destination and date again!